Are you eligible to make a claim towards the cost of the Funeral?
If you are on a low income and you feel you may be eligible for help with paying for the Funeral you could get a Funeral Payment Benefit from the Government. The payment is to help pay for the funeral and is recoverable from the deceased’s estate if they have left one. This includes insurance plans or the sale of any assets.
To claim the Funeral Payment you must be the one responsible for the Funeral
You must apply to the Government within three months of the funeral. How much you get depends on any monies available from Insurance plans and the deceased’s estate.
Rules on your relationship with the deceased
You must be one of the following:
- The partner of the deceased when they died
- A close relative or close friend of the deceased
- The parent of a baby stillborn after 24 weeks of pregnancy
- The parent of the deceased child, if they were under 16 (or under 20 and not in full-time education)
Benefits and tax credits
You, or your partner must get one of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Pension Credit, Housing Benefit or Universal credit
- the disability or severe disability element of Working Tax Credit
For more information go to the following link: https://www.gov.uk/funeral-payments/overview.html